Introduction to Nose Work
From the first class of Introduction to Nose Work, your dog will enjoy success in nose work with exercises set up to motivate her to find a treat or toy. Using reward-based training, your dog will learn to focus on finding her toy or treats located throughout the training room, in spite of distractions. In addition, by carefully observing our dogs, you’ll learn how scent travels through the room.
There are many benefits to online classes.
- There is no traffic to get to class.
- If your dog is aggressive or reactive, or hard to take out in public, both you and your dog will be more comfortable at home.
- If your dog has separation anxiety, you won't have to leave her in the car while you watch the other teams search.
- Speaking of cars, we won't have to cancel class due to hot weather.
- If your dog is generally anxious or easily distracted, getting started in Nose Work where he feels safest, in your home, will give him a much more solid foundation.
- Each week we will provide detailed lesson plans. You can participate at the times most convenient for you, whether mornings, evenings, weekends, weekdays... it's up to you!
- In these times when we need to stay at home more, this is a great way to form a community with other dog-lovers, in a common activity.
- Every enrollment is at what would be considered the "Gold" level -- access to all class materials, and encouraged to comment, participate online, and submit videos for review.
- You have the opportunity to check out preliminary free material in our Sample Class, before deciding whether to enroll.
- Once you enroll formally, you'll be given access to the full classroom.
- Endorsement from a client: "I found your Introduction to Nose Work class very easy to follow, and would recommend it to anyone interested in nose work. "
Handler Prerequisites: The class will be presented in Google Classroom. You may need to have a Google account. Google (gmail) accounts are free.
Canine Prerequisites: No obedience or specialized training of any kind is required to get started. A big desire for treats would be helpful.
Equipment: Excellent treats. If you think your dog may be more toy than food motivated, have a special toy on-hand as well. Several ordinary cardboard boxes. It would be helpful, but not required, for your dog to have a crate to rest in (and to keep her from sneaking a look), while you set up her search areas.
Online Class Start Date
Monday January 11, 2021, 6 weeks of lesson plans, online. Maximum 10 dogs per class, minimum 4 dogs. Every student will have the opportunity to upload videos for review, ask questions, and contribute to discussions. $200 per dog. Instructor: Linda Fletcher.
Link to Introduction to K9 Nose Work(R) Classroom (link will be restored when we offer a new class), to check out our Sample Class, with introductory materials already posted. Once you officially sign up below, you'll be invited to join the actual online class.
Please ignore the 8:00PM time for the online class. All class materials and information will be posted for you to review at whatever time is most convenient for you.
Temporarily suspended due to COVID-19.
Prerequisites: Your dog must be able to stay in a crate or your car without you, for parts of each class. No other obedience or specialized training of any kind is required to get started.
Equipment: Leash attached to a flat collar or back-clip harness. Excellent treats. If you think your dog may be more toy than food motivated, bring some extra special toys as well. Please provide your own crate, or the necessary equipment to keep your dog safe, cool, and secure in your car.
Class Start Date
Wednesday 3/11/2020, 5:00PM - 6:00PM, Pet Food Express, Mountain View, 6 sessions. Maximum 4 dogs per class, minimum 3 dogs. Excessive heat (to be determined by Instructor) and occasional Nose Work events will cancel class, with another class session added to make 6 total class sessions. $200 per dog. Instructor: Linda Fletcher. Sign up today!
Don't see a location or time that works for you?
We would love to have you and your dog in our Nose Work classes. To hear about future classes, join our wait list. The most requested class levels, times, and locations will be added first.